When should lines be marked?
Contractors must contact the Ohio Oil & Gas Underground Protection service at least 48 hours but not more than ten days before commencing excavation. Excavation is defined as “…the use of tools, powered equipment or explosives to move earth, rock, or other materials in order to penetrate or bore or drill into the earth…” – ORC 3781.25(H)
Types of excavation:
- Grading Trenching
- Digging Ditching
- Dredging Drilling
- Auguring Tunneling
- Scraping Moving
- Wrecking Razing
- Blasting Cable or pipe plowing or driving
- Setting poles/pipes Driving survey pins
- Installing sign poles Boring holes for percolation tests
Excavations include, but are not limited to:
- Demolition of buildings or other structures, even if you do not expect to disturb the earth during demolition.
- Government work in excess of 12 inches deep.
- Farming activity such as installation of drain tiles and tilling to a depth of more than 12 inches.
- Liquid pipeline companies may have additional guidelines for excavating near their facilities.